Friday, December 3, 2010

A Break.

I was supposed to work today but my doctor had other ideas. I received a “Z” pack, a vicodin prescription and a day off of work note to get some rest. So, here I am, sitting on my couch, watching old movies and updating my blog. A much needed update considering I have not had the opportunity to do so in over a week. Welcome to my world.

I suppose that living the way I do it is only fitting this is how I end up. Funny, I rarely ever get sick and when I do I normally just plow through it with the same vigor and bull-headedness that I bring to my jobs. But, for the past few weeks I’ve been going so fast and so strong that I’ve barely had a chance to really stop and rest. Even on Thanksgiving, which I mostly slept through, I was doing something. Nothing major, a long walk by the railroad tracks with my sisters dog. A hot meal, conversations which took so many turns and twists it would be impossible to recreate them here. Kids playing, food cooking and of course the plethora of photos were taken. Fun was had by all.

This brief respite from duties was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it gave me some much needed rest. But a curse because it made me realize how much I miss just being able to relax and be with my family.

It seems, to me at least, I've been wrapped up in doing so much for so many that I suffer from not being able to catch up with what is going on with my friends, sisters, brothers, mother and father. Sure there are phone calls made between us. Those calls are usually brief and filled with the obligatory questions of health, finances, grades, work and all the other mumbo jumbo that can fit into a 10 to 15 minute conversation. In other words, one person talks, the other listens and rarely does anything of substance get spoken.

Now, I’m on mandatory rest for 24 hours and I have drugs to help! YAY! Being here, stuck on my couch and my 3 bedroom mortgage, it makes me wonder if there is something out there that I’m missing. Something bigger, something intangible, something that is sitting on the tip of my tongue and in the front of my mind and I just can’t put a name to it. I know that one day I’ll figure it out. But for now, the drugs are kicking in and I need to sign off before I things get even goofier.

Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment