Monday, December 31, 2018

End of Year


Well, It’s December 31st and I’ve managed to somehow ignore my blog for longer than I’ve wanted. For this I apologize and I promise to make a more concerted effort in the coming year to be more attentive.

For me, like all end of the years, the past few months have been a flurry of activity of holiday exhibits and work and, while I’ve made promises to myself over the years that I would slow down, I have not. Well, not to the level that some people close to me are happy with. This however has changed as of this past weekend.

You see, nineteen and a half years ago, when my wife was about to go on unpaid maternity leave I took on a part time job. This was supposed to be a temporary job, maybe a year or two. You know, something that would help us with the loss of her income while she was out of work. Maybe help pay for any unexpected medical bills or even help us save for a vacation. 

And this job did all that. 

Then, it paid for more vacations. And more food. And cars. And a motorcycle and a house. Then when my wife suffered a five strokes within a week, it became necessary again. It didn’t cover everything but it helped. We are just now getting out of that hole.

My body just can’t take working two jobs anymore. I’m physically worn out. I’m mentally exhausted and I can’t say that I’ve been fully rested in years. So I hung up my apron. No more waiting tables. It feels good. I can’t say we won’t miss the money but I can say my mental and physical state will be in a much better place.

Also, this past year, 2018, has been the least sucky year in almost a decade for me. I saw my daughter graduate from high school, move out of the house and into a dorm room at a college she chose and is putting herself through. I got to spend an amazing day with my mother at a wonderful museum after having a great breakfast and a nice motorcycle ride with her. I got to travel to Martha’s Vineyard and Point Reye’s California and work on two amazing Fresnel lenses with some amazing men and learn a lot from all three of them.
I also lost good people in my life. Which is always sad, but it helps a person grow. I’m still waiting on the growing part.
I’m doing a podcast with a great guy who is as funny and talented as anyone could ask for in a creative partner. I got to see my brother-from-another-mother not once but twice this year and we laughed and bonded like we hadn’t been away from each other for a minute. I wrote some blogs, I wrote some fiction. I edited works for other authors, all who I believe are more talented than I will ever be. I hosted a great horror reading in October with some wonderful local up and coming writers who have amazing voices and I hope to hear more of in the future. I also got to spend not enough time with some close friends during all of this. Friends I don’t get to see enough of, friends who I usually end up texting with or chatting with on the phone more than seeing in person. Friends who live only twenty minutes away but our schedules always seem conflicting so our only source of communication is through social media or phones. I hope now, with all my free time this will change.

Don’t get me wrong, this year has not been perfect. I’ve had my fair share of set backs and daily frustrations, but you know what, looking back now, on this tepid southern new years eve, none of that seems to matter. My daughter is home from college. My wife is enjoying her Christmas gifts and an early anniversary gift, our house is filled with the warmth of contentment that only happiness can bring.

Tonight my dear reader, I thank you for taking your time to read my blogs throughout the year and tonight especially and I hope you have the merriest and safest of New Years and that this coming New Year brings you all the happiness and warmth you can handle.

Have a great week.



















No comments:

Post a Comment