Wednesday, July 29, 2015

STC II (A Review of Sorts)

I’m tired, and I know I’ve not been communicating with you great people in a while. There is a reason for that. However; I don’t know if I am quite ready to share that reason. Eventually, I just may, but to think I’ve not been writing or thinking about writing would be wrong. Actually, I’ve written several blogs since I last posted, it’s just I’ve not posted them. To tell you the truth, I don’t think I will.
            Last week, I took a bit of a vacation. I went to a convention in Williamsburg called “Scares That Care II”. It was the second time for me to go to this convention and it was just as awesome as the first time.
            I sat in on a bunch of readings from some amazing writers, as well as panels about the state of the horror genre and at the end of the day, we’d all meet up in the bar, the carport or even in the lobby. Legendary authors chatting with fanboys about subtext of books, mid-list writers buying pizza for friends, and even photographers and bloggers sharing cigars on a curb. Everyone seemed to be on equal footing.
            Laughter, comfort and relaxation seemed to surround celebrities and visitors alike. Maybe it was because we all knew we were amongst likeminded folks and we knew there was no one around who would judge us, make fun of us or even ostracize us. Everywhere you looked, people were just talking and hanging out. The horror cosplayers seemed completely at ease and even when they came into contact with small children, the children didn’t freak out. They laughed. Truth be told, some of the kids costumes were actually much better than the adults. Nothing could have wiped the smile of my face.
            Even with all that was going on, my circle, the circle of friends, writers and confidants. This year, we all never really seemed to get together at once. We seemed to have grown too large. Yet, our circle remained intact, somehow. We all managed at one point or another to get together, whether one on one or in small intimate groups of ten, we managed to talk, laugh and just revel in each other’s company.
            When I left on Sunday, I was sad. For you see, when I arrived on Thursday, I told myself not to think about Sunday. The day we all say our goodbyes. No one wants to think of that day. Instead, we pour our hearts, souls and life into staying awake for endless hours and trying to lose ourselves in the warmth of the moments we were creating.
            Dark nights turned into bright mornings, a signal for us all to walk in zombielike fashion back to our respective rooms, sleep for a few hours, clean up and then go out and seek out our long lost friends once again.
            So it should come as no surprise that on Saturday night, when the dealer rooms closed, the restaurant, bar, lobby and carports filled up. A sense of desperation and disillusionment filled us all as we tried to stop the world and keep reality at bay. Just so we could have a few more magical moments together.

            I’m going to miss all my old friends and even the new ones I’ve made. I can’t wait to see you all again next year and I hope you all find nothing but success and may the true evil of humanity never cross your doorstep.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment