Sunday, February 22, 2015

It Froze Over


            Well, winter has officially come to Virginia. The thermometer is registering in the single digits and there is snow and ice on the ground. Across the area cars, trucks and SUV’s are stuck in ditches due to over steering, understeering and hazardous road conditions. Men, women and kids are holed up in houses and apartments with their heaters set to “Hell”. Just to keep the chill out of their bones.
            The school age kids have had the entire week off and have been doing their best to drive their parents totally insane during these days. Video game and movie distractions have long been set to the side and forgotten. Parents who are ill-equipped to deal with endless hours of attention needing offspring are at their wits end. Personally, I don’t have that issue. My offspring is more than capable of keeping herself amused for hours with youtube and internet fangirl sites of her favorite boy-bands.
            This being said, I’m happy to enjoy an extra day or two at home relaxing. Although shoveling snow, cooking, cleaning, laundry and helping neighbors get their cars unstuck from an icy snow bank is not really relaxing. However, it is a very nice reprieve from the daily routine and ritual of my everyday existence.
            Yet as I sit here, writing in sub-freezing tempuratures I can’t help but think there may be something more important that I’m missing.
            Is it the family time? The down time from work? The daily life of maintaining the world around your comfort zone? I don’t know. What I do know is that I like sitting under a blanket and watching mindless television with people who are close to me. What I like is the fact that I don’t have anywhere to go, no responsibilities and no desire to do anything responsible for anyone in my life other than the people who I know are bound to me outside of the workplace.


            Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment