Sunday, August 21, 2011

The End of an Era


Last week it was announced that one of the online forums I am a member of is being shut down. And if you don’t know what an online forum is, I am truly sorry about this fact and you should probably stop reading right now and do a google search on online forums. This news would normally not affect me since there are so many other forums out in the great blue nowhere to access, but this particular one was not related to trains, toy trains, or how to repair toy trains. Nope this one was strictly for my amusement, and helped nurture a particular interest of mine that just could not be filled by some of the other online message boards. If you’re wondering what the message board was about I’ll gladly tell you… it was mainly about books.

But it was also about so much more…

This was the first forum I found where I met like minded folks who shared in the joy of horror literature, movies, music and underground press. People from all walks of life were on there and all of them were as accepting and open about their lives as a person could be. I made a lot of friends who introduced me to some amazing writers and musicians and for that I will forever be grateful. I met people who opened their homes and hearts to other folks in distress and help complete strangers through some of the toughest times in their lives. People who may look mean, dirty, ornery and nasty on the outside but with some of the biggest hearts I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet.

I know in the future we will still keep in touch, it is the way things are amongst us, but it will not lessen the blow we all feel with the closing of the doors to the home where we met. It’s been a fun two years for me on the forum with all my fellow F.U.K.U’s and I look forward to seeing them in the future whether in person, on twitter, facebook or even google plus.

One last note, I’d like to thank my old shipmate and salty dog Brian for giving us a meeting place to have fun.

Have a great week everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment