Wednesday, February 7, 2018

From the Porch 2


            I’m not a blind follower. I’m not a robot. I don’t follow orders unless I want to. Punishment does not work on me. I find my own company the best company.

            I served in the United States Navy and on no less than three occasions did I end up bleeding and on one occasions I even died for my country. I know what the nations flag stands for and I’ve even written on two separate but equally important events on the honors and ceremonies’ of not just the flag but the rank of officers involved.

            With that, I refuse to bend to the will of those who use the flag and what it represents to stand behind. I honor the people who stand in front of the flag and what it represents. After all, I can ask no one to do any less than what I’ve done myself.

            I know what our flag represents… Blue for loyalty, red for the blood of patriots and the stars for our states. Each stripe represents one of the original thirteen colonies. I know this. I understand this. I’ve bled and died for this.

            I’ve defended what the flag stands for. I’ve also defended the rights of every citizen in this country to either honor or destroy this flag but not what the flag represents. The flag represents America. It is a symbol. America is an idea. Symbols can be destroyed. Ideas cannot.

            I’ve always believed in our country. Not our flag.

            When I left the Navy I took with me a small souvenir. The steaming ensign of the ship I served on. It was my last act of defiance to the fleet. It was also something in which I felt I was owed. An artifact I hope one day to be buried with. Currently it sits folded in my office waiting to fly again. I’ve no idea if it will ever fly again, but I do hope it will one day.

            I love my country. I hate my country.

            I believe we are a melting pot. That we take in all and help them find their way. Absorb into our culture, their culture. That no one is beyond asking for a helping hand or helping others when the call arises.

            What I’m sick of is people who use our need, our desire, our passion for our country for their own needs. For their own gains. People who hide behind patriotism to mask their true motives.
           
            This sickens me.

            And then I’m told to stand. That’s when I sit down.

            I’m told to shut up. I yell.

            I’m told to accept. I deny.

            I’m told I’m a traitor. I bleed for our founding fathers.

            I will not follow an empty shell of a so called leader.

            I will stand with my fists by my side.

            I will not be called names because I don’t agree with you. I will call names back.

            I will not be treated as less than you. I will prove I am better than you.

            I’ve no use for sabre rattling. Let’s get down to business and start cutting.

            I’ll not die many deaths, I’ll only die one.

            You cannot punish me, for I’ve been tempered through the fires of hell and beyond.

            I’m a veteran, I’ve bled and died for my country on multiple occasions and your empty threats mean nothing to me. I’ll be here when you are gone and forgotten.

            I’ll stand when I want, I’ll say what I want and I’ll live and love as I want. This is America. Where we are free to do all of those things and that is what makes this the greatest country in the world.

            We are free. We are Americans and we shall be for an eternity.


Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment