Friday, October 2, 2015

Pimping

Tomorrow, if all works out, I will be doing my second ever public reading. That is, if the weather cooperates for me and my fellow readers. Unfortunately, two writers have already canceled on us. I can’t blame them. After all, their trips would have them drive about five hours here, relax for a bit, get a bite to eat, read their tales, go to their hotel room, sleep, wake up and drive home another five hours in rain. So yeah, no one can blame them.
            In light of the recent meteorological events, we have been preparing for this night since February. By we, I mean myself, my buddy Mark, my co-worker Slim and all the writers. We’ve been meeting in person, talking on phones, building websites, writing stories, passing out flyers, practicing our readings of stories and fighting over food, snacks, beverages and any and all basic details of the logistics of the event.
            Yet through all of this, I’ve been practicing my story and helping another writer with theirs. Which is cool since this is actually going to be her first reading and she was and most likely still is, very nervous and that is to be expected. After all, I remember how nervous I was last year and I can only imagine what she must be going through. I hope she does as well as she has in practice.
            As for the other guys who are reading, I know they’ve had years of experience. They are professional, well as professional as writers can be on a dismal, rainy October evening.
            No, my biggest concern is with the attendance. I’m hoping for a good turnout. That the weather won’t be a deterrent for visitors who’ve been looking forward to attending. Yeah, to say that I’m nervous about attendance is like saying the universe is big. I have no idea what is going to happen and I don’t like it.
            People are worried about weather, hurricanes and getting stranded. I don’t worry about such trivial occurrences. I worry whether or not we can pull this event off and if it is a success, can we do it again next year.

            So where does this all lead too? Simple, if you are in the greater Hampton roads area, and you have nothing planned for October 3rd between 7 and 9 pm, get yourself and loved ones to 420 High St. and support your local horror writers who are starving for your attention.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment