Friday, January 10, 2014

Happy New Year

            We are now officially one full week into the New Year and I have as yet to write my first blog. There are many reasons for this but the primary one is that I’ve been exhausted from work. I know that is not much of an excuse but it is the truth and you have my apologies for not communicating with you sooner.
            Over the course of time since our last communication I’ve had plenty of conversations with people that have fueled me to write various blogs but I have as of yet to write any of them down. One of the main topics of discussion, as if this is going to be a surprise, is that of resolutions. I’ve heard the same ones from many people, lose weight, eat better, be more charitable… yadda yadda yadda. When asked if I had any resolutions, I calmly and politely say “Nope. I believe I may be abstaining this year.” The look of shock and stunned silence by my fellow conversationalist usually brings a small smile to my face. Then I add “Actually, I just want to survive this year. Ya know? Come out better at the end than I did at the beginning.”
            Almost everyone I’ve said this too doesn’t get it. The average response is “Don’t we all come out better?” I laugh and walk away.
            I’ve known plenty of people over the years who have not come out better at the end of three hundred and sixty five days of life. And I’m sure I’ll know many more in the future who end up feeling as if the past year has just kicked them in the teeth after sucker punching them in the gut. I myself have had years like this and I don’t like it one bit. But I don’t know anyone who does. So truly, my goal is to survive this year and hopefully be a better person at the end of our passage around the sun than when our mud ball first started its journey.
            After all, isn’t that what we are striving for anyway?

            Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment